Monday, October 1, 2012

Master's in Public Health


Master's in Public Health...?
I was inquiring about a Master's in Public Health...what exactly could I do with such a degree, I have researched online and still don't have a clue as to exactly what this is...What careers could I pursue directly after graduating...to make $$ directly after graduating?... Please tell me what is this area and what could I do in it?...I need to move quickly to meet deadlines, please help me comprehend.
Higher Education (University +) - 3 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
Unless you have another degree in health care with a degree in public health, it'll be very hard for you to find a job. There are very limited jobs in public health, and so, they are very selective.


2
As I'm sure you know, the most famous such school is the Harvard School of Public Health. They've got a lot of info on their web page, but here's a really good page from their Career Services office... http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/careers/guide-intro.html


3
There are so many jobs that you can get with a MPH in a variety of areas. Depending on what concentration you decide (epidemiology, health promotion/behavioral science, biostats, environmental, management/policy) there are differences in income after graduation. Biostatistics is probably the concentration the fewest people choose and therefore you can make a decent amount of money as a statistician following graduation. Epidemiology is also another good field. In epi, you can work for the goverment (CDC) or corporate companies. Health promotion and behavioral sciences focuses on prevention, intervention, and changing people's behaviors to promote health. Personally, in my research I've found that these HPBS jobs are a little lower paying when you only have an MPH. For the environmental concentration, you can work in health policy with the govt or other advocacy groups. In the management and administration concentration, you can work as a hospital administrator and work on how to make health systems run efficiently. In general, with a MPH, there are a lot of very different jobs. The way I went about researching possible jobs was to look at a job site (check link below). I think with an MPH, you need to remember that you're not in it for the money, but more for what you can do for other people. However, you can live and find a job, with an MPH. If you do decide to go for an MPH, make sure to pick a concentration that you will enjoy and are interested in. Good luck!

0 comments:

Post a Comment