Sunday, November 21, 2010

How challenging would a Master of Public Health program be for a Biology major / Chemistry minor


How challenging would a Master of Public Health program be for a Biology major / Chemistry minor?
I just started my Masters program in Biomedical Engineering and it's way over my head, mainly due to the very advanced molecular biochemistry and engineering courses (I've never had any engineering classes before - just basic physics). My other choice was MPH, and I've already been accepted to such a program, but chose the BME one instead. I am now strongly considering switching into the MPH program. However, I don't want to get myself into the same situation. I graduated with a Bio major and Chem minor. I've had introductory statistics as part of that coursework, and have taken a few random public health electives. Does anyone know if I would be getting into something I'm not prepared for again, or would this be something I am more prepared for?
Higher Education (University +) - 2 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
That depends, sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't, I went on a job interview once and I was way over my head, I spit out an "INSANE" salary request to get out of the interview, and the guy interviewing me went "O.K we can match or beat that", I had to call later, refuse and thank him. I was a wizz in "BIO", a counsler suggested a course heavy in "BIO", and I was lost (DNA, and Viral studies), had to drop it, keep huntin kid, you'll find your "Nitch", Good luck, study hard.


2
Public Health deals more with people, community and diseases. It prepares you to work for government organizations, non-profit organizations, hospitals, clinics, etc. I don't believe this may be as challenging as your Biomedical Engineering program, but you will have to work with people (not molecules) and this definitely could be challenging. Do you have a strong interest in this field? Do you want to make a change in your community? Do you like to work with people? If the answer is yes, then go for it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment