Thursday, September 22, 2011

Anyone have a masters degree in public health


Anyone have a masters degree in public health?
Does anyone have a masters in public health? If so what kind of job you have and how you got it. I am thinking in getting my masters in public health, but looking around I did not see many jobs available for people who have this degree. Any suggestions for someone who is thinking in pursuing this degree?
Higher Education (University +) - 1 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
I have a MPH and I specialize in epidemiology, although I chose to my thesis on STD health education. I work for a large regional health department (one of the largest in the US) as an epidemiologist. There are a lot of jobs in epidemiology, and as far as public health specialties go, it pays better than most (health ed, though fun, pays squat!). If you want a job in public health, you should look for jobs in government agencies, medical research groups (including industry and academia), or community based organizations. I think if you're not totally familiar with the field, it can be difficult to recognize what job opportunities do exist. I assure you, there are plenty. Anyway, as for my thoughts on having an MPH, I only did this to buy time before going to medical school. I don't want to be an epidemiologist forever. Still, the work is interesting and rewarding. I get paid okay. But if you ever wanted to be rich, this isn't the way to do it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment