Wednesday, December 8, 2010

What career opportunities are available for sm1 who has done his MBBS and wants to do Master of Public Health


What career opportunities are available for sm1 who has done his MBBS and wants to do Master of Public Health
I have done MBBS from India and want to do Master of Public Health from one of the Universities in UK. Its a big career decision for me as I will be leaving the clinical side of medicine. As such, I want to know the opportunities avaialable after the course and scope of this masters and is it worth doing it at this stage of my career. Thanks in advance for all your answers.
Higher Education (University +) - 1 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
Actually, you don't have to leave clinical medicine behind. I work with many medical epidemiologists. They do consultations (mostly ID consults since I work in infectious disease epidemiology). Some do clinical rotations on the side. the rest do interact with patients from time to time, such as when dealing with more exotic cases. They also have to be up to par with clinical medicine because they are assigned as first responders -- in the event of a major health emergency, they need to be on scene to treat victims. In case you DO want to leave clinical practice behind, there is a lot of opportunity in the research realm. I'm not sure how your wages are, but having a MPH degree entitles me to better pay compared to a mere baccalaureate degree. different branches of public health command different wages. Health education does not pay very well. Epidemiology pays much more. I do encourage you to pursue the MPH degree. The coursework is short and can be completed quickly (I finished my education in 14 months).

0 comments:

Post a Comment