Friday, April 1, 2011

Should I go to nursing school or get a master's in public health


Should I go to nursing school or get a master's in public health?
I'm a psychology major, business minor in college, and I'll be graduating in a year. I am really interested in health care, specifically public health. Most of the graduate public health programs I've looked at prefer people with experience in the healthcare field already (nurses, doctors, allied health people). I could go into nursing... but I'm kind of hesitant, because I know that being just a regular hospital floor nurse definitley isn't what I want to do and I'm afraid of getting stuck doing that kind of work. So I guess right now, I'm torn on whether I should just pursue a master's degree in public health anyway, or get a second bachelor's degree in nursing, and become a public health nurse (and then maybe get an MPH in the future)? Which is the best route?
Higher Education (University +) - 1 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
You could always try being a Clinical Research Associate (CRA) for a year or two. A lot of hospitals and univesities will hire peole with BA/BS degrees to work with patients for studies. Usually you do a lot of patient recruitment, schedule appointments, store and organize data, and sometimes they get to administer tests. Psychology is a good major for that. I'd advise that you try to gain some experience in a clinical or experimental lab. After working as a CRA for a year or two, you could then apply to MPH programs. You could also try applying and seeing what happens, but some hands-on experience is recommended.

0 comments:

Post a Comment