Tuesday, May 8, 2012

i'm interested in public health but what should I get my undergrad in


i'm interested in public health but what should I get my undergrad in?
After I receive a bachelors I would like to get my masters in public health. I know public health has specialties including nutrition, international health, environmental health, biostatistics, health education and epidemiology. The problem is that i'm fairly interested in all of these specialties. Any suggestions? I think my options are international studies, environmental sciences, nutrition/dietetics or health education and throw in some math or science courses...those are a lot of options!
Higher Education (University +) - 1 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
You can study darn close to ANYTHING and get into a public health masters program. I have a MPH in epi/biostats. Now I work as an infectious disease epidemiologist. It's a pretty nice gig. When I was in grad school, my colleagues were from a variety of fields. Some of their majors included: nursing, anthropology, psychology, sociology, statistics, English, history, and yes, there were a few biology majors like me in the mix. The joke is, epidemiologists are just a bunch of fallen pre-meds ;) When I was looking at public health programs, I was interested in a lot of things, too, mainly epi, infectious disease, adolescent health, and international health. When you check out a MPH program, make sure you look at the curricula they offer. In my case, infectious disease isn't offered at a lot of schools (it's a dying art), so I had to go with epi/biostat when choosing among the schools I got into. You can usually get the info off their website, but I highly encourage you to call the program director's office directly and talk with them. Tell them you're a prospective student. And visit the campuses if you can. I flew from California to DC to check out Georgetown and GWU because I got into GWU and was waitlisted at GU. I talked to as many faculty as I could. I wandered around the campuses of the school. I looked at the posters on the walls to get an idea of what kind of research they were doing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment